About Alicia


Tea drinker. Thrift shopper. Gypsy at heart.

Wednesday, April 2, 2014

I'M INTO....

FUR COATS.
I can't imagine having too many! Of course, I do love animals so I'd never buy a new real fur anything. Though I do enjoy vintage genuine fur, because...well...it was made ages ago. I mean check this one out: Vintage Nordic Fur Coat, Rugged Vintage Fur & Faux Fur Coats from Spool 72. | Spool No.72

So freakin' delicious. Ebay is a very addicting way to find fur coats on the cheap. Adding to my 'Watch List' is my therapy.

Isn't Margot Tenenbaum just scrumptious in her camel colored coat?!

MYSTERY & SUSPENSE MOVIES.
Yes, I can't sleep afterwards, but I feel like I'm actually expanding my brain mass. I don't like horror movies though because I feel like they are just making money by capitalizing on gory depictions and often women are the recipients of the cruelty. Not cool.

A few that I'd recommend:
Prisoners (2013)
A real chilling watch. How far would you go to find out where your child is? I did remove my headphones and cover my eyes a few times during the course of the movie, but it was so suspenseful and made me so irritated at some of the characters. I also never want to do another maze.

Seven (1995)
While this movie did leave a bad taste in my mouth, it stayed true to the suspense and mystery. Morgan Freeman is always enjoyable to watch and I love Gwyneth Paltrow. I had to meditate for a good 20 minutes after this movie ended on the disturbing truth portrayed by the movie's murderer. It was well done and while there was gore, it was not overdone or provocative. 

A Hijacking (2013)
I really enjoyed this movie. The cook on the ship was a very likable fellow and you cringed every time you thought he was in danger. I also enjoyed that there were very few women in this movie. I'm tired of big-boobed women making a scene in thriller & action movies. This flick was also pretty thought-provoking about a subject I hadn't given much of my brain time to. 

BOOKS WRITTEN LESS THAN A DECADE AGO.
I will admit that I read mostly what are termed "classics", but due to a bookstore application that asked for some modern books I've read, I have clamored to get my hands on a few newbies. These are the past 3 I've read:

Adulting by Kelly Williams Brown
This one was chock full of practical advice with humorous insights and examples. I was not bored for a single second, even when I was reading the section on cleaning house. It also makes me happy that Kelly Brown is a journalist and an author! INSPIRING!

Gorgeous by Paul Rudnick
An interesting read. It isn't really my cup of tea, but it did have some insightful moments. I'm not huge on half a page of descriptions of flowers or other details, but it did make me curious enough to read it pretty fast.

Mrs.Poe by Lynn Cullen
I have only read about the first 50 pages and I only just learned it is about Edgar Allan Poe's mistress...hmm. Though on the back it is described as "tragic" and "heart racing", so perhaps I'll keep reading. At least until my next book arrives to the library. I'll keep you posted.

VODKA NOODLES.
So dang delicious. Every night? I think so. Here's a recipe, though beware: Highly addictive.

Ingredients (makes 4-6 servings)
-1 onion, chopped
-3 cloves garlic, minced
-1/4 cup olive oil
-1/4 pound thinly sliced prosciutto
-3/4 cup vodka
-1 (28 oz) can crushed tomatoes
-1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
-1 tablespoon dried basil
-1 cup half & half cream
-1 lb penne pasta

Directions

  1. In a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Cook onion & garlic in oil; stir until soft. Add prosciutto & vodka. Simmer until almost all liquid is gone.
  2. Add tomatoes & herbs. Simmer for 10 minutes.
  3. Stir in half and half, & heat for 3 minutes.
  4. Meanwhile, cook pasta in boiling salted water until done. Drain. Serve sauce over noodles.
Recipe adapted from this. Enjoy!

--

Alrighty dears, that is all for now. Hopefully my next blog post won't be put off too long, I think I'll put post-it notes everywhere that say "BLOG!". That might help. :) Have a lovely mid-week night!

-Alicia

2 comments: